QA Automation Lead
The QA Automation Lead is responsible for the creation, roll-out and uptake of the companywide QA automation tools and frameworks. The QA Automation Lead will report into the Head of QA as the senior technical authority on QA Automation, managing the automation roadmap, identifying risks and feature enhancements based on feedback/opportunity, and managing the architecture for the company’s automation efforts.
The QA Automation Lead is expected to be able to design, develop and maintain Web (Browser), SOA (REST, SOAP), and Enterprise (JMS, ESB, etc.) based automation efforts, and align this with QA and development resources. The QA Automation Lead will own the integration to the build lifecycle and SDLC, including detailed knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery, the design and implementation of mocks/stubs and other software testing tools and principles, and reporting on coverage in a consistent and consolidated manner.
In this role, the QA Automation Lead will be responsible for consolidating fragmented development and QA efforts, providing guidance to channel centric development and QA automation engineers across the company. This includes adopting an open and collaborative attitude to change and tool selection, and understanding the balance between a centralized framework and channel based implementations and feature agility.
For this the QA Automation Lead will manage the automation roadmap, balancing functional, operational and debt items to efficiently lead a small team of core automation engineers, and govern the company wide use of automation tools. Regular training, knowledge transfer and feedback sessions will all fall on the responsibility of the core team. To assist in this, the QA Automation Lead will rely on their heavy technical background to analyse automation requirements, make design decisions (through POC, vendor selection, etc.) with collaboration with functional development teams, whilst also providing code review and governance through example and mentoring.
Design and implementation of companywide automation efforts, including requirements gathering, design and implementation, as well as ongoing maintenance and support of its uptake.
Ownership of the automation infrastructure and architecture in support of distributed QA Automation resources in the various offices and development teams.
Establish companywide patterns for the implementation, execution and reporting of QA Automation coverage.
Direct management of a core team of automation engineers, with governance and support of QA Automation, QA and Development staff across multiple time zones and locations.
Ability to support third parties, both in terms of requirements and knowledge documentation, and a flexible framework suitable for external deployment.
Provide candid reporting on the uptake and quality of automation, and providing solutions/opportunities for investment when quality is lacking.
Establishing and documenting key quality metrics on QA Automation Testing within the Organisation.
Domain expertise, including sourcing toolsets and processes to accelerate QA Automation coverage.
QA Automation ‘consultancy’ and secondment to delivery teams and projects as required, collaboratively investigating, diagnosing and solving construction and delivery related issues (i.e. Lacking QA process, estimation, QA bottlenecks, continuity and governance )
Mentor and train QA Automation and Development resources in regards to QA Automation metrics, toolsets and testing best practices.
Mentor and train QA Automation in regards to QA and framework best practices.
Detailed management and documentation of non-functional requirement documents, QA toolset technical roadmap as the primary technical stakeholder, including tool selection, and proof of concept for technologies.
- Experience developing / sourcing QA Automation within an organisation (Junit/Selenium/Cucumber/DSL Driven Automation/SoapUI), and knowledge of how to construct and maintain this collaboratively.
- Web (Browser), SOA (REST, SOAP) and Enterprise (JMS, ESB, Event-Driven) automation experience.
- 5+ years of software development/automation (Java)
- 3+ years hands-on QA experience.
- 3+ years leading, mentoring and collaboratively working with senior QA resources
- Open and collaborative attitude towards technology.
- Experience writing test cases and plans. This includes the creation, execution and reporting of status.
- Experience with test/defect tracking systems, including Test Case Management (HP Quality Center), Project Planning tools (Project Server), Issue Tracking (Jira/Greenhopper)
- Ability to work remotely with technical teams spread across different time zones.
- Proven ability to identify and attack areas risk within the development, document and present this along with solution proposals, and rolling out processes and standards to address quality concerns.
- Experience testing scalable, fault tolerant and highly available SOA and/or Event Driven architectures.
- Experience testing with Message Oriented Middleware and Message Brokers (AMQP, JMS, XMPP), and a variety of languages (Java, C++, .net,)
- Experience testing web-tier development, in particular scaling and throughput and separation of business logic from presentation.
- Ability to discuss, defend and sell best practices to non-direct reports (governance), react to criticism and factor in feedback to plans.
- Leadership Qualities, in particular communication to a wide range of technical stakeholders and senior management and the ability to mentor a team of software engineers (both direct, and through governance).
- Experience applying quality and productivity metrics in an agile environment to improve software quality
- Expertise in software development methodologies, and appropriate tool-sets.
- Use of Issue Tracking (Jira), Code Review (Crucible), Code Quality (Sonar, Junit) tools and how to integrate these with QA Automation software.
- Use of Build Toolsets (Maven), SCM (SVN, GIT), Continuous Integration (Bamboo) and how these fit into automation testing.
- Experience introducing and build QA Automation practices (BDD, TDD)
- Ability to learn and keep technically current with industry approaches, frameworks, and paradigms, including self-learning and company sponsored improvement.
- Ability to work autonomously in a dynamic and fast paced environment.